I knew that my school life would be really different this year, when I took the position of half-time assistant principal while keeping some of my teaching schedule. What I didn't realize insight I would gain into the life of an administrator by being in this position. Who knew that so much happened behind the scenes?
I never thought much being an AP, unless it was to say that it was not a job I would want. When people asked me if I would ever consider getting my administrator license, I would say "HELL no!" I knew that I loved being in the classroom and wouldn't want to give it up. This year, I've been able to take a deep look at both sides, I'm not sure which one I'm better at, and I definitely have more years teaching, but I like both.
When it comes to teaching:
- I love that moment when you look at your class, and see a group of engaged, thoughtful students who are at ease in your class.
- I love when I see my students helping each other in genuine ways.
- It is amazing when my students get so interested they ask question after question, to the point where we get a little off track and I can't answer the questions, and I tell them I don't know and need to look up the answers.
- I love researching topics and coming up with new material that is tailored to my group of students.
- Laughing with my students makes me happy.
- It's weird to have the administrative perspective as a teacher.
As for AP'ing:
- I love walking around the school building and checking in with teachers and students.
- Collaborating with my co-AP and principal is amazing.
- Laughing has been an important part of every day. We always make sure some of that happens,
- When things happen that we can't believe happened, we mentally record those things for our future book, You Can't Make this S*** Up.
- I get to see students in a different light - not always good, not always bad - but I get to still have great relationships with many of them.
- I love those moments when I can help a teacher, parent, or student feel supported.
- I love having the teacher perspective as an administrator.
So, right now, it's a toss-up as to which I like more. Luckily, I can say that I not only love my job, but I have fun at it, and look forward to going - almost every single day.