I knew that my school life would be really different this year, when I took the position of half-time assistant principal while keeping some of my teaching schedule. What I didn't realize insight I would gain into the life of an administrator by being in this position. Who knew that so much happened behind the scenes?
I never thought much being an AP, unless it was to say that it was not a job I would want. When people asked me if I would ever consider getting my administrator license, I would say "HELL no!" I knew that I loved being in the classroom and wouldn't want to give it up. This year, I've been able to take a deep look at both sides, I'm not sure which one I'm better at, and I definitely have more years teaching, but I like both.
When it comes to teaching:
- I love that moment when you look at your class, and see a group of engaged, thoughtful students who are at ease in your class.
- I love when I see my students helping each other in genuine ways.
- It is amazing when my students get so interested they ask question after question, to the point where we get a little off track and I can't answer the questions, and I tell them I don't know and need to look up the answers.
- I love researching topics and coming up with new material that is tailored to my group of students.
- Laughing with my students makes me happy.
- It's weird to have the administrative perspective as a teacher.
As for AP'ing:
- I love walking around the school building and checking in with teachers and students.
- Collaborating with my co-AP and principal is amazing.
- Laughing has been an important part of every day. We always make sure some of that happens,
- When things happen that we can't believe happened, we mentally record those things for our future book, You Can't Make this S*** Up.
- I get to see students in a different light - not always good, not always bad - but I get to still have great relationships with many of them.
- I love those moments when I can help a teacher, parent, or student feel supported.
- I love having the teacher perspective as an administrator.
So, right now, it's a toss-up as to which I like more. Luckily, I can say that I not only love my job, but I have fun at it, and look forward to going - almost every single day.
3/16/2017 10:41:12 pm
You are an educator, so it may not matter in which capacity, because in both positions you facilitate learning. That you enjoy both roles means that you have found your calling. I'm so happy & proud for you.
Leave a Reply.